Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Countdown to Christmas!
This year with the holiday feeling over shadowed by certain events , I decided to copy an idea that my sister is doing in Indiana. Last week I put together 25 gift bags for each day leading up to Christmas. Each one contains either a craft, a story, a lesson, a small gift, or a treat. It's my way of doing an advent calendar, but really taking time together each night and focusing on the season. It's been exciting so far for the kids and a nice way to end the day. What have we done so far, you ask? On Monday, the bag contained our angel for the top of our tree and some packets of hot chocolate and marshmallows. Jake gave a great lesson on why we put an angel at the top of the tree and then we had the kids come up with ideas on how they could be "angels" this holiday season for other people. After that, we made the hot chocolate and drove around in our electric car looking at Christmas lights. On Tuesday, I had enrichment night and Jake had softball, so the bag contained a softball (as a hint) and a new seasonal night light for each of their rooms and the bathroom. So, what did the bag have tonight? I thought you'd never ask...cotton balls! And this is what we did with them...
We made snowmen, Arizona style. The kids got super creative and Blake actually told me that it was fun even though "I thought it was going to be boring." Thanks for the faith, dude. If you click on the picture you can see just how creative they got! Raegan's has ears, Sarah's has a belly button and a shiny baby in the tummy, and Blake usually doesn't venture too far beyond what his perception of real is. Very straight forward.
The snow people even got names. I give you: Frosty the Working Snowman, Emily, and Kyleeah. I think they're just the most creative holiday decorations I've ever seen, don't you?
Our day also had another surprise when a package arrived in the mail from Grandma and Papa in Idaho. Every year at the beginning of December they send each of the kids a book to enjoy throughout the month.
The kids were so excited to see what they got and have LOVED reading their books. Thanks so much, Grandma and Papa. We love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Such an awesome tradition! Your family is so adorable. Glad to see things are going so well. I will be swinging by soon to drop off your book :)
I LOVE this idea....email me the rest of your ideas for the season so I can steal them :)
Cute pictures!
Kaylani! You are cute! I want the rest of your ideas too. Hurry, I need them!
NO....YOU CAN NOT STEAL MY WIFE'S IDEAS!
This is such a cute idea. I think I will do it next year. I am so impressed that you are so on top of things. I want all of your ideas for next year, so start making your list.
What a fun tradition! We do "Elf Mail" where elves come every night and leave something in our green elf mailbox. I will have to post it on my blog again. our elves also leave notes like, do your chores, be nice, etc!! :) My little plug for an easier December!!
Post a Comment