Yesterday we took the kids camping. I originally wasn't going to go because Jax has been so grumpy with teething, but Jake REALLY wanted us to come so we decided to hop in at the last minute. Uncle Nick was able to come with us, too, so we were full to the brim and ready for an adventure. We went just past Payson, not quite to Pine at a little turn-off that looked promising and green. The weather was beautifully refreshing and we were all excited to stretch our legs when suddenly the clouds started to drip. Then drizzle. Then sprinkle. Then hail. Then pour. Then it just became ridiculous! And we had only been there 10 minutes.
Jake and Nick were trying to put up the tent while I was trying to keep 4 kids and a
dog dry all while slip-sliding in the mud.
I got the kids and dog loaded back into the car, but not without doing a number to our clothes, shoes, and even the interior. When the tent was set up with the rain flap, I went to work mopping up puddles inside the tent with Huggies diapers (great absorbent qualities) because we had more of those to spare than we had blankets. Jake and Nick thought I was a genius. I just used what I'm familiar with. After I accepted the fact that this was going to be the dirtiest camping trip E.V.E.R., I was able to let go and have a fun time. We, (meaning Jake and Nick), finally got dinner made while I entertained children and dog in the tent,
then we proceeded to eat in the tent and change into dry clothes and tuck into bed. The kids had a great night and I realized that they were having a great time because none of the work fell on them and that they would most likely have some fun memories of this trip. Because of the rain, we all got to bed super early...like 7:30. Because of that, we all got up super early too...like 5:45. We made delicious boil-in-a-bag omelets and cleaned up camp.
We were packed up by 8:00 because everything was muddy and we were basically out of clothes and dry shoes. On the way home, we decided to stop by the bicycle graveyard,
which by the way is not a graveyard at all,
but a very lively bike lot that ships things
(not sure what things) all over the world and is also one of the
50 most popular destinations in AZ for a day trip.
The boys enjoyed it and seemed to find things they absolutely.couldn't.live.without. As for me, I could totally live without the fact that my washing machine and dryer have been running non-stop since we got home at 10:30 this morning. That's all.
Highlights:
*Raegan and Sarah insisting that they needed to go to the bathroom no less than
106,779 times
because it was just so fun to get to go wherever they wanted.
*Jaxon eating everything.
No joke.
Not kidding.
*Flash finding a great chew toy.
Look closely.
Yep. not joking on that one either.
*Having 2 men there. And having them admit that if I hadn't come,
they would have left the minute it started raining,
but they had to prove their manliness to me.
*Coughing all night. ALL night.
*Getting the van stuck in the mud and not knowing
if we were going to be able to ever go home.
*Getting home less than 24 hours after our adventure began.
The End.


3 comments:
Kaylani, I am seriously laughing out loud. The kicker for me is the elk leg that your dog was chewing on. I cant stop laughing. good woman. Denise
I have been sitting here for an embarrassingly long time now, trying to figure out why "Rolling over the billows" would mean anything to me. Then the tune came to me and finally, I get it. Phew.
Now that camping trip is hilarious. You are a much better sport than I would have been. I'm sure I would have packed my kids up and left Mike behind. Ha.
it's the song we sang on every road trip. multiple times. that's all.
Post a Comment