Friday, August 15, 2008

What the...

So last night after the kids were in bed and my husband was sleeping peacefully after a VERY long day for himself, I left with 3 of my sisters to go visit my other sister who is in the hospital for a few days right now. We stopped at Jamba Juice to get her a smoothie and my phone rings. It's a sleepy Jake asking if I had gotten his text. I hadn't, so he told me to look at it and call him back...Ummm, okay. This is what his text consisted of:

Call me!

Are you serious?

In the seconds that it took me to dial him right back, my mind was reeling over
the possibilities of what could have happened. An intruder? A fight?
Someone stealing our property?
The light fixture falling out of the ceiling and hitting him in the face?
My brother in law even suggested a popped zit gone horribly wrong...
When I got a hold of him the truth was revealed. Jake was sleeping when suddenly he heard a loud BANG! He woke up with an unusually forceful jolt which stood him up to his feet, in bed,
and before he could even comprehend what was happening, the ceiling fan had already unleashed two blows and he was down for the count! Sounds a little too much like Don Quixote, if you ask me. I tried to sound extremely sympathetic, but really? A ceiling fan?
Really, babe? Who stands up in bed?
Maybe I should be the go-to girl when we're planning our self-defense against an intruder.
I can see it now: The masked man enters the bedroom,
ready for a fight, and is up for the challenge, when suddenly he realizes
no fight will be necessary.
Somebody, or something, has been here before and done the dirty work.
The man lay helplessly in bed with blood dripping from his face...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoops....missed part of my post...

I was sleeping soundly in my bed and went into a defensive posture...on top of the bed... if you think about it....going from lying down to standing up in one motion....that's kinda impressive... should be an Olympic event...and I totally would win the gold!!!!

Regardless.....you are still BUSTED...

Kaylani said...

but if you're unconcious, you can't be there for the awards ceremony

The Hall Family said...

That is really funny. I am glad it was just the fan and not an intruder :) Tell Jake HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

The Hall Family said...

Sorry, HAPPY BIRTHDAY in 3 days :)

K said...

Oh sad!

THERIOT FAMILY BLOG said...

wait.. I want to know what the loud bang was in the first place

KaraLyn said...

Poor guy. But may it be a lesson to us all... DON'T stand up in bed! Heehee! And yes Jake, that should be an olympic event, and you would win the gold!

K.C. + Sherry Layton said...

ha ha ah aha ha ah ahahaahahahahahhahaahhhaahahahahahahhaahhahahahahhahahah!!!!!!!!

Kirsi Anne said...

okay so i personaly thought it was fake and he was playing a joke on you.... sounds like somrthing i would do :) okay so i totally got your message at camp but at the beginning of the summer my phone broke so i lost your number and couldn't get ahold of you..but text me and i have a blog so add me!!! HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY! love Kirsi

Jennifer said...

Ummm, what???

That's great.

Allison said...

that is a pretty nasty picture, but is a great story! thanks for sharing (even it it was at jake's expense).

Sara Hollobaugh said...

Yah. I am glad there was not another intruder. You can sure tell that the ceiling fan won!! Maybe Jake can at least get a black eye from it, that would be even better:)

Nicole Angel said...

i thought it weas fake at first and u were gonna say he was playing a joke on you haha but wow that just sounds like it would hurt! i miss seeing ya around as well... if ya ever feel like getting together for lunch or something then let me know... see ya

Abby said...

Jake, you know I love you and all, and I'm sorry you got hurt, but this just brings back memories of you getting your head stuck in a microwave... Just kidding, I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse from it. :) Happy birthday in 4 hours!

Melissa said...

I'm dying @ this story...from the picture, a fan is the last thing that I would have ever guessed :)

Dennison Family said...

Thanksf or the funny story!! It gave me a great laugh! Definately not the ending I expected-a Fan?? very funny, but Jake, i'm VERY sorry you got hurt!